Health Podcast Activity Worksheet
Episode 1: Nutrition
After listening to the podcast, students will:
- Recognize the importance of making healthy nutrition choices every day.
- Use critical thinking skills and technology resources to analyze the nutritional content of food items.
- Work in groups to develop a presentation demonstrating the components of a healthy eating plan.
National Health Education Standards
Click the links below to find correlations for the NHES addressed in this activity.
Grades 6-8 Grades 9-12
Facilitating Podcast Activities:
Activity A – Listening and Learning
- Have students work in small groups of three to five and complete Activity A to check for understanding or Activity B to apply what they learned.
- Arrange for students to hear the podcast in one of two ways: Listen to the Nutrition podcast on the class computer or listen to the Nutrition podcast using digital media players.
- After students have listened to the podcast, have them answer the questions on the Health Podcast Activity Worksheet. Download the podcast script and use the provided time signature to review key concepts. Lead a class discussion and ask volunteers to summarize what they learned.
- Any two: protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals. Food examples for specified nutrients will vary. [2:10-5:10]
- Foods supply the body with nutrition for energy and growth. Eat a variety of nutritious foods from each food group; follow MyPyramid recommendations and the Dietary Guidelines; pay attention to serving sizes; choose healthy snacks. [5:40-6:50]
- Answers will vary but should include specific physical activities students can fit into their daily routine.
Activity B – Making Healthy Choices
- Direct students to Activity B where they will use the online resources at MyPyramid.gov to record the foods they eat in one day.
- Have students print out or e-mail their results to you. Remind them to include strategies for making more nutritious food choices.