- The main purpose of advertising is to present a message that encourages the customer to buy the product or service or to accept an idea.
- The different types of advertising media are print media, broadcast media, the Internet, and specialty media.
- Advertisers choose ad media by asking three questions: 1. Can the medium present the product or service and the appropriate business image? 2. Can the desired customers be targeted with the medium? 3. Will the medium get the desired response rate?
- Media measurement looks at the number of homes or people exposed to an ad and the number of times the audience is exposed to the ad. Cost per thousand exposures (CPM) is a common tool for comparing media.
- Looking at circulation figures for print media and diaries and meter data for broadcast media are common techniques for evaluating media.
- Media costs vary depending on type of media, geographical location, and audience.
- Four common methods of setting a promotional budget are percentage of sales, all you can afford, following the competition, and objective and task.