Discovering Life Skills ©2010
Working in the Kitchen
Check Your Answers: After You Read
Section 21.1 Food Safety
- E. Coli can be found in contaminated water, raw or rare ground beef, and unpasteurized milk.
- Freezer burn causes unappealing, dried-up white areas on food. To prevent it, keep foods airtight in freezer paper, heavy-duty foil, freezer-quality plastic bags, or plastic freezer containers.
- Answer should include some the safety techniques discussed in the chapter, including washing hands, keeping hair out of food, storing foods at proper temperatures and in proper containers, and cleaning up any spills immediately.
- Include the guidelines, frequency of checks, and how the guidelines contribute to the public's safety. For example, restaurants are checked by an outside source to ensure that safe practices are used.
Section 21.2 Kitchen Essentials
- Stand on a short stepladder or a sturdy step stool with a waist-high hand bar to get at high or hard-to-reach items. Turn pot and pan handles toward the center of the stove. Clean spills immediately. Keep cupboard doors and drawers closed when not in use.
- Toasters, food processors, and blenders.
- To learn how to use and care for appliances and to refer to later.
- Your poster should focus on how to avoid one of the following: falls, burns, fires, cuts, or electric shocks. The poster should include graphics, photos, clip art and attention-grabbing slogans or statements.
- Information will vary depending on appliance chosen. Sample appliances may include food processor, toaster, blender, electric skillet, or waffle maker. Your research should include who invented it, how it has developed (what the original version looked like and how it has changed over time), and how it is used.