Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
Learning OutcomesChapter 5
- Understand the biochemistry of phospholipids and how they are organized into membranes.
- Know the function of each of the four components of a cell membrane.
- Differentiate among diffusion, facilitated transport, facilitated diffusion, osmosis, and active transport.
- Describe the six classes of membrane proteins and how each interacts with the membrane.
- Describe solution and solute movement into and out of a cell under hyperosmotic, hypoosmotic, or isosmotic conditions.
- Explain and give examples of endocytosis, phagocytosis, pinocytosis, receptor-mediated endocytosis, and exocytosis.
- Understand the importance of selective permeability in biological systems.
- Describe the operation of the sodium potassium pump and the proton pump.
- Understand the importance of coupled channels, cotransport, and countertransport.