Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
Energy and Metabolism
Learning OutcomesChapter 6
- Differentiate between kinetic and potential energy.
- Describe how oxidation and reduction are interrelated in chemical reactions.
- Understand The First Law of Thermodynamics and its impact on the amount of energy in the universe.
- Understand The Second Law of Thermodynamics and its relation to entropy and enthalpy.
- Explain the energy requirements of endergonic and exergonic reactions.
- Describe the importance of activation energy and how it can be altered.
- Explain the nature of enzymes and multi enzyme complexes, how they affect reactions, and the factors that affect their performance.
- Define competitive inhibition, noncompetitive inhibition, and activation. Know how each relates to the allosteric site.
- Understand the unique catalytic nature of and properties associated with ribozymes.
- Understand the structure of ATP and how it is able to drive biological reactions.
- Describe how a general biochemical pathway evolves over time
- Catabolism is the opposite of anabolism
- The rate of an enzymatic reaction decreases with time as enzyme molecules are used up during the reaction